Philly Cheese Steak Soup
A creamy, cheesy soup that tastes just like a Philly cheese steak sandwich and is great on a cold winter's night. Serve with a crusty loaf of French bread.
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package provolone cheese, diced
- ¾ pound sliced roast beef, chopped
- 1. Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium heat; cook and stir mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper in the hot pot until tender, about 5 minutes. Add flour and continue to cook and stir until flour is golden, about 5 minutes more.
- 2. Gradually whisk milk into vegetable mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add beef consomme; season soup with salt and pepper. Slowly stir provolone cheese into soup until cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in roast beef.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 447.7 kcal
carbohydrates: 20.8 g
protein: 24.7 g
saturated fat: 18.7 g
cholesterol: 100.4 mg
sodium: 1291.4 mg
fiber: 1.1 g
sugar: 10.3 g