Roasted Pumpkin and Sage Risotto
A savory pumpkin side dish to accompany any meal, lunch or dinner. Use the small pie pumpkins for ultimate flavor and texture. Save those seeds to roast for an added treat for the rest of the week.
- 1 small sugar pumpkin - seeded, peeled, and diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 4 cups hot chicken broth
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- 2. Toss diced pumpkin with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sage, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Spread evenly onto the prepared baking sheet.
- 3. Bake in the preheated oven, turning once midway through cooking, until pumpkin begins to brown, about 25 minutes.
- 4. Melt butter and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot; cook and stir until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir until the rice is coated in oil and has started to toast, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring slowly after each addition until absorbed into the rice. Add the roasted pumpkin. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth until mostly absorbed and rice is tender; adding the broth should take about 20 minutes total. Turn off heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
serving: 4 cups
calories: 367.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 49.9 g
protein: 7.7 g
saturated fat: 4.1 g
cholesterol: 18.1 mg
sodium: 1301.9 mg
fiber: 1.1 g
sugar: 2.8 g