Savory Sausage Sun-Dried Tomato and Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Cheesy, crispy, crunchy and warm! This savory bread pudding is an unexpected and delightful way to use pumpkin. The addition of sausage makes it a main course or a hearty side dish. This dish would make a lovely addition to your Thanksgiving or a holiday breakfast table.
- 1 teaspoon softened butter, or as needed
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 cup diced raw pumpkin
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ¼ cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 cups diced artisanal bread
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter.
- 2. Combine sausage, pumpkin, onion, and sun-dried tomatoes in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir until sausage is browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 3. Transfer sausage mixture to a large bowl. Mix in bread, heavy cream, Cheddar cheese, eggs, milk, Gruyere cheese, salt, and pepper. Spread mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- 4. Bake in the preheated oven until puffed and golden, 30 to 45 minutes.