Lucy's Ham Spread
This is one of my favorite recipes. My Mom, Lucy Wahnsiedler, used to make this when I was a kid. I love the flavor of the spread, and it is marvelous for making sandwiches or for spreading on crackers. It is simply delicious!
- 3 pounds smoked ham, cut into chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound processed cheese food (such as Velveeta®), cubed
- 1. Place ham into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and boil ham gently for 15 minutes. Drain and allow ham to cool.
- 2. Place ham into a food processor and pulse several times to grind the meat to your desired texture.
- 3. Stir tomato sauce, tapioca, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce in a large saucepan over low heat; melt cheese food in the tomato sauce mixture and stir all ingredients smoothly together. Do not allow to simmer.
- 4. Combine melted cheese food mixture with ground ham in a large bowl; stir thoroughly. Chill before serving.
serving: 14 servings
calories: 357.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 5.1 g
protein: 24.3 g
saturated fat: 11.3 g
cholesterol: 80.4 mg
sodium: 1783.6 mg
fiber: 0.3 g
sugar: 3.6 g