Apple Coffee Cake a la Gram
My mom, or Gram, as her 10 grandkids lovingly refer to her, made this for her 5 kids when we were growing up. Even on our tight budget, she managed to convert those apples dropping off our tree into something wonderful every fall. Cover the coffee cake with plastic wrap to keep it moist.
- 4 cups peeled, cored, and diced apples
- 2 cups white sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch glass baking pan.
- 2. Combine apples and sugar in a bowl and toss to coat. Stir in oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- 3. Stir flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and allspice in a separate bowl. Add to the apple mixture and mix well. Pour into the prepared pan.
- 4. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack.