Spelt Bread I
Wheat allergies? Try spelt!
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 7 cups spelt flour
- 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1. Stir yeast and sugar, gradually adding warm water. Add about half the flour and the salt and beat well. Add the remainder of the flour gradually to acquire a stiff dough. It may require more or less than 7 cups.
- 2. Knead 5 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- 3. Put dough into a buttered bowl and turn once to butter surface. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled, keeping it between 80 and 90 degrees F during the entire time of rising, about 2 hours.
- 4. Punch down dough with your fist and divide into two parts. Knead and shape into 2 loaves and place into loaf pans. Cover again and allow dough to rise to top of pans.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- 6. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 minutes.
serving: 2 9x5-inch loaves
calories: 120.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 25.2 g
protein: 4.9 g
sodium: 292.1 mg
fiber: 1.3 g
sugar: 1.7 g