Mary's Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread
Have been perfecting this cornbread recipe for years. My Southern family does not like sweet cornbread. It is hard to find a good recipe. Should be moist and buttery. Top with butter to serve.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 ½ cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground red chile pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter, or to taste
- 1. Pour vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet; place in the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 2. Mix cream-style corn, cornmeal, buttermilk, sour cream, yogurt, eggs, salt, and red chile pepper together in a bowl to form batter. Remove skillet from oven using oven mitts; pour in batter.
- 3. Bake in the preheated oven until edges pull away from skillet, 30 to 40 minutes. Spread butter over top.
serving: 1 10-inch round
calories: 210.9 kcal
carbohydrates: 27 g
protein: 6.1 g
saturated fat: 4.3 g
cholesterol: 60.1 mg
sodium: 631.5 mg
fiber: 2.1 g
sugar: 3 g