Warm Greek Pita Sandwiches With Turkey and Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce
The perfect ending to the holiday turkey is this Greek-inspired sandwich served in a warmed pita. It is filled with lettuce, tomatoes, and turkey, and topped with a homemade cucumber sauce.
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ½ cup cucumber, peeled, grated and squeezed as dry as possible
- 2 teaspoons red or rice wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 large pitas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved and cut into chunky wedges
- 3 cups leftover roast turkey, pulled into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 ½ cups shredded lettuce (preferably romaine)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved and lightly salted
- 1. Adjust oven rack to middle position. Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix sour cream, yogurt, cucumber, vinegar, 1 minced garlic clove, and salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- 3. Place pitas in oven; bake until warm and pliable, 7 minutes. Cut in half. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Carefully add onion; saute until spotty brown but still crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Add turkey, oregano and remaining minced garlic; continue to saute until heated through, another 2 minutes.
- 4. Serve, letting guests fill their own pitas with lettuce first, followed by turkey, tomatoes and cucumber sauce.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 517 kcal
carbohydrates: 44.2 g
protein: 40 g
saturated fat: 6.9 g
cholesterol: 94.3 mg
sodium: 729.8 mg
fiber: 3.1 g
sugar: 5.1 g