Instant Pot® Cashew Chicken
A classic takeout favorite made at home in your Instant Pot®. This recipe uses chicken breast to keep it on the lean side, but the chicken is tenderized to maintain a velvety texture. Serve over white rice.
- 14 ounces chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cups green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can baby corn, drained and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1. Place chicken in a mixing bowl and sprinkle with cornstarch; mix until each piece of chicken is well coated. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon mirin on top and stir well. Set aside.
- 2. Combine water, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons mirin, hoisin sauce, and 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a small bowl. Whisk together and set aside.
- 3. Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Add 1 teaspoon peanut oil, cashews, white sesame seeds, and black sesame seeds. Cook and stir until fragrant and toasted evenly, about 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil, bell peppers, onion, and garlic and saute until vegetables have softened and garlic is fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add chicken mixture and stir well to combine. Mix in soy sauce mixture, baby corn, and water chestnuts. Stir until everything is well combined.
- 4. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 3 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- 5. Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Stir and serve immediately.
serving: 5 servings
calories: 379 kcal
carbohydrates: 29 g
protein: 22.3 g
saturated fat: 3.7 g
cholesterol: 45.4 mg
sodium: 839.4 mg
fiber: 7.1 g
sugar: 10.8 g