Chef John's Italian Meatballs
Homemade meatballs are a very easy to make, and since we skip the very messy step of pan-frying these before they hit the sauce, it becomes downright simple. Here I use a standard half-beef/half-pork mixture. You can substitute water or beef broth for the milk, if preferred.
- ⅓ cup plain bread crumbs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 eggs
- ¼ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- 2. Soak bread crumbs in milk in a small bowl for 20 minutes.
- 3. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onions in hot oil until translucent, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Mix beef and pork together in a large bowl. Stir onions, bread crumb mixture, eggs, parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, Italian herb seasoning, and Parmesan cheese into meat mixture with a rubber spatula until combined. Cover and refrigerate for about one hour.
- 5. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- 6. Using wet hands, form meat mixture into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Arrange onto prepared baking sheet.
- 7. Bake in the preheated oven until browned and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
serving: 30 meatballs
calories: 81.9 kcal
carbohydrates: 1.7 g
protein: 6.2 g
saturated fat: 1.9 g
cholesterol: 32.3 mg
sodium: 192.1 mg
fiber: 0.2 g
sugar: 0.5 g