Fried Steak with Peppercorn Gravy Sauce
This is such a great, simple red meat-lover's dish. The sauce is flavorful and easy to make. This dish looks like a lot of work, but is so simple. Great for impressing people.
- 1 (1.2 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 6 New York strip steaks, cut 1-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Prepare gravy mix in a small saucepan according to package directions. Stir in cream, vinegar, white wine, and peppercorns. Simmer over low heat for a few minutes just to blend the flavors.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season steaks with salt and pepper (if desired) and place in the hot skillet. Fry for 7 to 10 minutes per side, or to your desired degree of doneness. The internal temperature of the steaks should be at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees C) for rare meat.
- 3. Remove steaks to a serving platter or individual plates, and drizzle each one with the gravy. Garnish with peppercorns and fresh parsley for special occasions.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 338 kcal
carbohydrates: 4.3 g
protein: 39.4 g
saturated fat: 7.3 g
cholesterol: 116.1 mg
sodium: 370.9 mg
fiber: 0.3 g