Cream of Sweet Potato Soup
This easy to prepare yet oh-so-elegant soup is a favorite at my house. Because it has a slightly sweet taste, the kids love it, and it's my husband's favorite soup. Serve warm with buttery garlic bread and a crisp green salad. You can also serve cold with cucumber or watercress sandwiches.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 3 (14 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup brown sugar, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt (to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2. Bake sweet potatoes in preheated oven until soft, about 1 1/2 hours (you can also use a microwave). Remove and let cool slightly.
- 3. Peel sweet potatoes, and puree with chicken broth in batches, using enough chicken broth so that it purees smoothly. Bring puree to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the sugar, salt, nutmeg, black pepper, and cayenne pepper; cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cream.