A juicy and tangy tri-tip recipe that has been used in my family for years.
- 2 (4 pound) beef tri-tip roasts, trimmed
- 1 cup dark lager (such as Shiner® Bock)
- 1 cup lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup ground black pepper
- ¼ cup garlic salt
- ¼ cup garlic powder
- ¼ cup onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1. Place tri-tips in one or two gallon-sized zip-top bags or in a large sealed container.
- 2. Whisk lager, lemon juice, olive oil, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper together. Pour marinade over the tri-tips. Seal, squeezing out as much air as possible. Refrigerate, flipping once halfway, 8 hours to overnight.
- 3. Lightly oil the grate of an outdoor grill. Arrange coals or mesquite wood on one side of the grill and preheat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 4. Remove tri-tips from the marinade and place directly over the wood or coals. Sear for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Move tri-tips to the opposite side of the grill, cover, and grill until desired doneness is reached, about 45 minutes for medium-rare.
- 5. Transfer to a cutting board, wrap in foil, and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Unwrap and slice across the grain.
serving: 2 4-pound tri-tips
calories: 273.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 7.1 g
protein: 30.9 g
saturated fat: 3.9 g
cholesterol: 105.6 mg
sodium: 762.5 mg
fiber: 0.4 g
sugar: 4.3 g