Sherry's Wild West Soup
My mother-in-law, Sherry, comes up with the best soup recipes. She is the 'queen of soup'! One of our family favorites is this hearty, rich and delicious soup. It can also be made with turkey. A nice green salad on the side rounds out a perfect meal.
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans diced green chile peppers, drained
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken meat
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup diced Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. Pour broth into a soup pot, or large saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Add the chile peppers, chicken, garbanzo beans, oregano, chipotle peppers, rice, salt and pepper. Return to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes. If the soup is too thick, you can add a little more broth. Ladle into serving bowls, and top with sliced avocado and cheese cubes.