Sarah's Award-Winning Vegetarian 4-Bean Chili
A robust 4-bean vegetarian chili that is sure to please. The flavors and textures are complex and only get better the next day. Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, or Fritos®.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- ½ medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, or more to taste
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetarian soy meat crumbles
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro, or more to taste
- 1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno; saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add 3 cups water, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and black, kidney, and cannellini beans. Stir to combine.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 cup water and tomato paste in a small bowl; whisk together. Stir into the bean mixture.
- 4. Add vegetarian crumbles, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, lemon juice, black pepper, cumin, basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Add cilantro and serve immediately, or keep over low heat until ready to serve, adding cilantro just before dishing up.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 344.3 kcal
carbohydrates: 59.9 g
protein: 17.6 g
saturated fat: 0.5 g
sodium: 1211.5 mg
fiber: 16.7 g
sugar: 11.4 g