Broken Pasta with Mushroom, Onion, and Crispy SPAM®
I love crispy SPAM®, caramelized onions, and button mushrooms. The idea of this recipe is to have them all in one dish! Sprinkle some more Parmesan cheese and black pepper on top to serve.
- ⅓ (8 ounce) package bucatini (dry)
- ⅓ (12 ounce) can fully cooked luncheon meat (such as SPAM®), cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (1 ounce) slice mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1. Break each piece of bucatini into 4 pieces.
- 2. Toast luncheon meat with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add crushed peppercorns and cook until meat is crispy, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- 3. Heat remaining oil in another pan over medium-low heat. Cook onion, covered, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add sugar; cook, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes, until onion is very soft and browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Cook bucatini at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- 5. Add mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper to the pan with the onions. Stir and cover. Cook until mushrooms shrink and lose some moisture, about 5 minutes. Add butter; cook until flavors meld, about 3 minutes more. Add the crispy meat and Parmesan cheese. Stir.
- 6. Drain pasta and stir into the mushroom mixture. Add mozzarella cheese. Increase heat to high and cover pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta develops a light crust, 3 to 5 minutes more.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 302.6 kcal
carbohydrates: 22.2 g
protein: 10.1 g
saturated fat: 6.8 g
cholesterol: 34.2 mg
sodium: 513.2 mg
fiber: 1.4 g
sugar: 5 g