Sweet and Spicy Pepper Relish
This relish spices up everything from grilled cheese sandwiches to burgers and hot dogs. Or, for an easy appetizer, spoon some over a block of cream cheese and serve with crackers.
- 1 pound medium-hot red chile peppers, such as Fresnos or red jalapenos
- 2 small red or orange bell peppers - stemmed, seeded, ribs removed
- ½ large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 ¼ cups white sugar
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons pickling salt
- 1. Wearing rubber or latex gloves, trim tops off chiles. Working in batches, pulse chiles, bell peppers, and onion in a food processor until chopped into fine bits, about 1 minute per batch. Transfer to a nonreactive 3-quart pot.
- 2. Stir sugar, vinegar, and salt into chile mixture and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring more frequently toward end of cooking to prevent scorching, until thickened, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 3. Pour or ladle relish into clean, wide-mouth, half-pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims clean with a damp paper towel. Let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- 4. Apply clean lids. Enjoy immediately, store in fridge 2 to 3 weeks, or freeze up to 6 months.
serving: 3 to 4 half-pint jars
calories: 48.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 12 g
protein: 0.3 g
sodium: 146.9 mg
fiber: 0.3 g
sugar: 11.3 g