Vegetarian food never tasted so good! Piled high with eggplant, mushrooms, onion, and zucchini, then topped with mozzarella cheese, this Italian-style grinder is a meaty meatless meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 eggplants, peeled and sliced into rings
- 2 zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Marsala wine
- 3 ciabatta sandwich rolls, sliced horizontally
- 1/4 cup garlic basil spread (see footnote for recipe link)
- 1/4 cup garlic roasted tomato spread (see footnote for recipe link)
- 1/4 cup artichoke aioli (see footnote for recipe link)
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- 2. Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook and stir onion until it begins to soften and turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add eggplant and cook until they have absorbed some of the oil, about 1 minute. Stir zucchini into eggplant mixture and cook until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in mushrooms and salt; cook and stir until mushrooms are softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3. Pour Marsala wine into eggplant mixture and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until wine has reduced slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. Spread each ciabatta roll with 1 tablespoon garlic basil spread, 1 tablespoon garlic roasted tomato sauce, and 1 tablespoon artichoke aioli. Top with 1/4 pound mozzarella cheese. Evenly distribute the eggplant mixture among the 4 sandwiches.
- 5. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, 3 to 4 minutes.
serving: 4 sandwiches
calories: 672.1 kcal
carbohydrates: 97.7 g
protein: 30.9 g
saturated fat: 7.5 g
cholesterol: 36.3 mg
sodium: 1372.9 mg
fiber: 9.9 g
sugar: 6.8 g