Carrot Bundt® Cake with Orange-Bourbon Glaze
This Bundt® cake has all the spice and texture of a traditional carrot cake, but uses a non-creamy, orange-bourbon glaze which is perfect for those sensitive to dairy. Garnish with coarsely grated orange zest.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups lightly packed shredded carrots, drained of excess water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ½ large orange, finely zested
- 1 ounce bourbon whiskey, or more to taste
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10-inch (12-cup) fluted tube pan (such as Bundt®).
- 2. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, allspice, and ginger in a medium bowl.
- 3. Beat sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl until slightly lightened in color. Add carrots and stir to coat. Fold in dry ingredients with a rubber spatula or large spoon until just barely combined with some small clumps; don't use a hand mixer. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- 4. Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer pan to a cooling rack and let cool, right-side up, for 15 minutes. Invert pan onto a plate and gently tap to remove the cake. Let cool completely.
- 5. While cake is cooling, whisk butter, orange juice, orange zest, and bourbon together in a small saucepan over medium heat for glaze until boiling. Boil to fuse flavors, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar, a small amount at a time, whisking until smooth before adding more. When glaze is at your desired consistency, liberally spoon over mostly-cooled cake.
serving: 1 Bundt(R) cake
calories: 452.1 kcal
carbohydrates: 64.9 g
protein: 4.7 g
saturated fat: 5.1 g
cholesterol: 72.2 mg
sodium: 435.6 mg
fiber: 2.1 g
sugar: 46.2 g