I absolutely love being able to make my own gyros at home! You have to try them!
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- boiling water as needed
- 12 tablespoons hummus
- 12 pita bread rounds
- 1 small head lettuce, shredded
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 24 tablespoons tzatziki sauce
- 1. Place onion in a food processor and blend until finely chopped. Transfer onion to a piece of cheese cloth and squeeze out the liquid. Place onion in a large bowl.
- 2. Mix lamb, beef, garlic, oregano, cumin, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, and salt with the onion using your hands until well mixed. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until flavors blend, about 2 hours.
- 3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 4. Place meat mixture in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped and tacky, about 1 minute. Pack meat mixture into a 7x4-inch loaf pan, ensuring there are no air pockets. Place loaf pan into a roasting pan and pour enough boiling water around the loaf pan to reach halfway up the sides.
- 5. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, 45 to 60 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Pour off any accumulated fat and cool slightly.
- 6. Thinly slice the gyro meat mixture.
- 7. Spread 1 tablespoon hummus onto each pita bread; top each with gyro meat mixture, lettuce, tomato, red onion, feta cheese, and tzatziki sauce.
serving: 12 servings
calories: 424.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 42.8 g
protein: 22.4 g
saturated fat: 6.7 g
cholesterol: 60.6 mg
sodium: 620 mg
fiber: 3 g
sugar: 4.1 g