Risotto with Butternut Squash and White Beans
Known in Italian as 'Risotto con Zucca i Fagioli.' Steamed butternut squash folded into a creamy white bean risotto is the perfect flavorful dish for a weeknight or entertaining your favorite guests.
- 1 butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) package Arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 cups chicken broth, or more as needed
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce, or more to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can small white beans, drained
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Season butternut squash cubes with salt and black pepper. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover and bring the water to a boil. Add butternut squash, cover, and steam until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes depending on thickness. Transfer squash to a bowl and mash.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in the hot oil until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir tomato into onions until onions become translucent, 3 to 5 more minutes. Add Arborio rice to onion mixture and stir to coat with oil; cook and stir until rice becomes translucent with a white spots in the middle of each grain, about 2 minutes.
- 3. Stir white wine into rice mixture; cook and stir until wine is completely absorbed, 2 to 4 minutes; add marjoram, oregano, and basil. Pour chicken broth into rice mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed, until rice is creamy but firm to the bite, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir squash into rice mixture until fully incorporated. Remove from heat.
- 4. Stir hot pepper sauce, white beans, Parmesan cheese, and parsley into risotto until cheese is melted. Season with salt and black pepper.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 436.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 77.1 g
protein: 11.2 g
saturated fat: 1.5 g
cholesterol: 7.2 mg
sodium: 1013.1 mg
fiber: 6.7 g
sugar: 5.7 g