Whole30® Sloppy Joes
Whole30® version of those great sandwiches from your childhood. Garnish with green onions.
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 dates Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir ground beef and onion in the hot skillet until beef is browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard grease.
- 2. Reduce the heat to medium and add green pepper, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, parsley, and salt. Mix well.
- 3. Meanwhile, bring 2/3 cup of water to a boil in a small pot and add the dates. Boil just long enough to soften the dates, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove the dates from the pot. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
- 4. Place the dates into a food processor or blender with tomato sauce and tomato paste; blend well.
- 5. Add pureed date mixture plus reserved cooking liquid to the beef.
- 6. Prick a potato several times with a fork or knife. Microwave on High power until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- 7. Serve Sloppy Joe mixture on top of potatoes.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 434.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 52.9 g
protein: 25.1 g
saturated fat: 5.5 g
cholesterol: 71 mg
sodium: 790.5 mg
fiber: 7.3 g
sugar: 12.5 g