Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Apples
A rich potato puree with caramelized apples on top (though I would recommend using both caramelized apples and marshmallows, and they both add something different!) Served it for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 apples (such as McIntosh or Macoun) - peeled, cored, and cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1. Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add sweet potato, cover, and steam until soft, about 1 hour. Scoop the meat from the skin, transfer to a bowl, and smash using an electric mixer or wooden peg.
- 2. Stir 1/4 cup brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon into smashed sweet potatoes; allow to cool.
- 3. Stir cream, orange juice, 1/4 cup unsalted butter, salt, and pepper into smashed sweet potatoes; transfer to a baking dish.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 5. Melt 3 tablespoons unsalted butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; cook and stir apples and 3 tablespoons brown sugar in the melted butter until lightly browned on both sides, 5 to 10 minutes. Spoon caramelized apples over smashed sweet potatoes.
- 6. Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, about 20 minutes.
serving: 1 9x13-inch baking dish
calories: 327.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 51.8 g
protein: 3.4 g
saturated fat: 8 g
cholesterol: 37.7 mg
sodium: 492.3 mg
fiber: 6.6 g
sugar: 20.5 g