Hoppin' John Black-Eyed Pea Casserole
Found this recipe at a big Christmas get-together. Don't know who gets the real credit for creating this recipe, but it is easy and really, really good! Just a little kick and very filling. Sure to be a hit at any get-together.
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice mix (such as Zatarain's®)
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- cooking spray
- 1 pound mild sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans hoppin' John
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, or more to taste
- 1. Combine rice mix, water, and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a large casserole dish lightly with cooking spray.
- 3. Cook and stir sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain, reserving some grease in the skillet, and place in a bowl.
- 4. Cook and stir onion and green bell pepper in the skillet until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice, sausage, and hoppin' John until evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- 5. Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, 30 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese on top. Continue baking until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 370.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 30.9 g
protein: 17.5 g
saturated fat: 8.5 g
cholesterol: 51.1 mg
sodium: 1338.8 mg
fiber: 4 g
sugar: 1.5 g