Sweet Candied Orange and Lemon Peel
With this easy-to-follow recipe, orange and lemon peel become an elegant--yet still a bit tart--sugared confection.
- 6 lemon peels, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 4 orange peels, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup white sugar for decoration
- 1. Place lemon and orange peel in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 20 minutes, drain and set aside.
- 2. In medium saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture reaches thread stage, 230 degrees F (108 degrees C) on candy thermometer, or small amount dropped in cold water forms a soft thread. Stir in peel, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain.
- 3. Roll peel pieces, a few at a time, in remaining sugar. Let dry on wire rack several hours. Store in airtight container.
serving: 3 cups
calories: 153.9 kcal
carbohydrates: 39.9 g
protein: 0.1 g
sodium: 0.8 mg
fiber: 0.5 g
sugar: 39 g