Chicken, Tom Yum and Karengo Soup
This is a very spicy and tasty Asian style soup that is easy to prepare. It is slightly exotic and will impress friends, so make it for a large gathering. Try garnishing with fresh cilantro.
- 6 white onions, julienned
- 8 ounces fresh ginger root
- 6 red bell peppers, julienned
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thin
- 2 green chile peppers, chopped
- 2 lemon grass, chopped
- 10 kaffir lime leaves
- ½ cup oyster sauce
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3 ½ (4 ounce) jars tom yum soup paste
- 14 quarts chicken broth
- 6 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into strips
- salt to taste
- 1 cup reconstituted karengo (seaweed)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1. In a large stock pot saute onions, red bell peppers, celery, lemongrass, chile peppers and ginger in sesame oil.
- 2. Add chicken stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3. Add lime leaves, oyster sauce, soy sauce, tom yum paste and cut up chicken. Simmer for 20 minutes and then check the seasoning. Add more oyster sauce, soy sauce or tom yum paste if necessary. At this point also season with salt.
- 4. Add seaweed, garnish with cilantro and serve.
serving: 18 quarts
calories: 134.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 6.7 g
protein: 18 g
saturated fat: 0.3 g
cholesterol: 42.8 mg
sodium: 796.2 mg
fiber: 1.5 g
sugar: 1.8 g