Kale with Caramelized Onions
A delicious and healthy side dish for the summer when you have lots of greens to use!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch curly kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds
- 1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat; cook and stir onion until softened and beginning to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Add garlic to onion; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 2. Stir kale and water into onion mixture. Cover Dutch oven and cook until kale is tender, about 30 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over kale and caramelized onions and sprinkle almonds over the top.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 178.6 kcal
carbohydrates: 16.7 g
protein: 5.8 g
saturated fat: 1.4 g
sodium: 54.4 mg
fiber: 3.7 g
sugar: 2.2 g