Christmas Wassail with Baked Apples
Traditional Christmas punch garnished with floating baked apples and cinnamon sticks. Serve warm or at room temperature. Add a spray of pine or cedar fronds and some shiny red apples around the bowl for a festive table decoration. Exceptionally delicious wassail served as is or add your favorite rum to spice it up for a more festive holiday. Can keep leftover wassail in refrigerator and heat to serve next day.
- 3 large cooking apples, cored and halved
- 1 gallon apple cider, divided
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks, or more to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2. Place halved apples, cut sides down, on a baking sheet.
- 3. Bake in the preheated oven until apples are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 4. Simmer 2 cups apple cider, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg in a large kettle or pot for 10 minutes. Add the remaining apple cider, orange juice concentrate, and lemonade concentrate; stir until wassail is smooth. Mix brown sugar into the wassail; heat until almost boiling. Float baked apple halves and cinnamon sticks in the wassail; serve warm.