Rock Shrimp Tempura (Pan-Fried)
This is based off the famous recipe from Nobu. If you've ever had the rock shrimp at one of his restaurants, you'll definitely want to make these.
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 dashes ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup ice water
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- 1 pound rock shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. Whisk egg yolk, chili-garlic sauce, rice vinegar, sea salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Pour in 3 tablespoons oil slowly, whisking constantly, until sauce is creamy.
- 2. Whisk ice water, flour, and egg yolk together in a large bowl to make batter.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip some shrimp in batter, letting excess drip off, and cook in hot oil until browned on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining olive oil and shrimp.
- 4. Place cooked shrimp in a large bowl. Pour sauce on top and mix until thoroughly coated.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 351 kcal
carbohydrates: 18.8 g
protein: 22.3 g
saturated fat: 3.4 g
cholesterol: 275 mg
sodium: 428 mg
fiber: 0.9 g
sugar: 0.1 g