This beetroot relish is delicious, especially when served with lamb. The texture can be adjusted to your own liking, and I suggest it be somewhat chunky to give a contrast to the smoothness of the lamb. This recipe was in a book of notes from my grandmother, and tastes amazing.
- 10 medium beets, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1. In a large pot, combine the beets, onion, red bell pepper, celery, sugar, and cauliflower. Season with salt, mustard seed, and celery seed, then stir in vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- 2. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.