Apricot-Habanero Hot Sauce
A sweet and hot-at-the-end BBQ sauce. The kick to this hot sauce is at the end but not that overpowering.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 habanero peppers, chopped
- ⅓ cup bourbon whiskey (such as Maker's Mark®)
- 3 fresh apricots, pitted and sliced
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon Spanish paprika
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1. Heat olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add habanero peppers. Pour bourbon into the pot and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir in apricots, followed by tomato sauce. Stir in brown sugar, vinegar, oregano, paprika, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- 2. Remove from heat and let cool, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 3. Blend using an immersion blender or transfer carefully into the bowl of a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
serving: 12 servings
calories: 62.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 8.7 g
protein: 0.8 g
saturated fat: 0.2 g
sodium: 457.5 mg
fiber: 1.1 g
sugar: 7 g