Spinach and Blue Cheese Soup
Popeye's favorite soup! Good hot or cold. Soup also freezes well. Soup should not be pureed or frozen with bacon. Reserve bacon until serving time so it will remain crisp. It is equally as good to serve this soup without pureeing, just add a splash of dry vermouth and lemon juice to each portion just before serving.
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- ground cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 pound bacon
- 1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine the butter or margarine and the onions. Saute for about 3 minutes. Add flour and stir well until mixed. Add broth, raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Whisk mixture to keep flour from clumping.
- 2. Add milk, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the blue cheese and stir until blended, then add the spinach and cook 3 more minutes. Add the cream, bring just to a boil, turn off heat and stir well. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- 3. Allow to cool and puree in a food processor or blender a little at a time. Ladle into individual bowls and sprinkle with the bacon. (Note: to serve cold, omit the bacon and add a little freshly squeezed lemon juice.)