Grilled Corn Salad with Chayote Squash
My roasted corn salad with chayote squash. Refrigerate overnight, if possible. The longer that the mixture is allowed to sit, the more flavorful it will become.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or more to taste
- 8 ears corn, shucked
- 2 chayote squash, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 2 Anaheim chile peppers
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 medium lime, zested and juiced
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- 2. Oil corn, chayote squash, zucchini, and chile peppers; place on a rack for 5 minutes to allow excess oil to drip off.
- 3. Transfer vegetables to the preheated grill and cook until they have a nice brown crust, 10 to 15 minutes. The corn should have some kernels that are close to burning, and the peppers will be expanding and making popping noises. Remove from the grill and allow to cool, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Remove and discard the plastic-like skin from the peppers by scraping the blade of a knife along the outsides. Mince peppers, dice zucchini and chayote, and cut corn kernels off the cobs. Transfer all to a bowl and add onion, cilantro, lime zest and juice, and salt to taste. Add more olive oil if the mixture is dry or if you want the flavor to be more pronounced.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 165.6 kcal
carbohydrates: 32.6 g
protein: 6 g
saturated fat: 0.6 g
sodium: 58.3 mg
fiber: 6.2 g
sugar: 8 g