Sausage Barley Soup
This is a nice soup recipe with a lot of texture and flavor. It is a welcome change for those weeks when there doesn't seem to be a lot of variety... and all 3 of my kids even loved it. This can also be cooked in a pan on the stove until the barley and carrot are tender, but I prefer the slow cooker method. The flavors seem to blend better.
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- ¼ cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, onion, and garlic until the sausage is evenly brown. Season with Italian seasoning. Remove from heat, and drain.
- 2. In a slow cooker, mix the sausage mixture, chicken broth, carrot, spinach, and barley.
- 3. Cover, and cook 4 hours on High or 6 to 8 hours on Low.