Lavender and Citrus Sugar Cookies
Delicious lemony sugar cookies with aromatic lavender. Brush the tops with egg whites and sprinkle with lavender and white sugar before baking, or just try them dusted with icing sugar once baked.
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 extra large egg yolk
- 3 ½ teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 ½ teaspoons crushed dried lavender flowers
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1. Beat butter and sugar in the work bowl of a stand mixer until mixture is creamy; beat egg, egg yolk, lemon zest, lavender, and vanilla extract into butter-sugar mixture at low speed. Beat flour into moist ingredients, 1 cup at a time, to make a workable dough. Form dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 3. Roll dough out on a floured work surface to a thickness of about 1/8 inch. Cut dough into shapes using cookie cutters and place cookies onto baking sheets.
- 4. Bake in the preheated oven until firm, 9 to 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on sheets for 2 to 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to finish cooling.
serving: 5 dozen cookies
calories: 165.5 kcal
carbohydrates: 17.9 g
protein: 2 g
saturated fat: 6 g
cholesterol: 40 mg
sodium: 68.8 mg
fiber: 0.4 g
sugar: 6.7 g