Amazing Coconut Oil Pie Crust
I created this recipe for my niece, who is allergic to soy, and discovered that coconut oil makes the most amazingly moist and flaky crust I've ever tasted. If you have trouble finding coconut oil, try the health or organic food section of your store, or a health food supplier.
- 1 ½ cups coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. Whisk coconut oil, egg, vinegar, water, and salt together in a large bowl. Add flour; mix until smooth using a fork, pastry blender, or your hands.
- 2. Divide the dough evenly into two bowls. Refrigerate until cool and firm, about 1 hour.
- 3. Roll each ball of dough out on a floured surface. Cook according to pie recipe instructions.