American Pumpkin Pie
This is the only pumpkin pie recipe I've ever used. It's been in the family for at least sixty years! Since, in our family, one pie is never enough, I like to triple the filling recipe and divide it into two pie shells, since, as my Mom always says, "No body likes a skimpy pie!" (Of course, this will add a few minutes to the baking time, too.)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ cups evaporated milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- 2. Add the sugar gradually to the pumpkin puree. Beat well an stir in the flour, salt and spices. Stir in the corn syrup and beat well. Stir in the slightly beaten egg, then slowly add the evaporated milk, mixing until well blended. Pour the batter into the unbaked pie shell.
- 3. Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 10 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees F) and continue baking pie for an additional 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the mixture comes out clean.