Raspberry-Lemon Pie In a Toasted Coconut Crust
I am a pastry chef and I have developed many desserts that can be served at Passover. This shouldn't be prepared just for the holiday - it's great all year long!
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 ½ pints fresh raspberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2. Spread the coconut onto a baking sheet, and bake in the preheated oven until lightly toasted and golden, about 10 minutes. Watch carefully to prevent burning. Mix the coconut and 1/2 cup melted butter in a bowl, and chill until it begins to firm, about 15 minutes. Pat the coconut mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie dish. Chill until set, at least 30 minutes.
- 3. Place sugar, 1/2 cup of butter, lemon juice, eggs, and egg yolks in a saucepan. Place over low heat, and whisk constantly until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Do not boil. Strain the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl, and stir in the lemon zest. Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the custard, and chill thoroughly.
- 4. Spoon the lemon custard into the coconut crust, and top with fresh raspberries.
serving: 1 9-inch pie
calories: 503.8 kcal
carbohydrates: 54.9 g
protein: 4.4 g
saturated fat: 20.4 g
cholesterol: 182 mg
sodium: 84.2 mg
fiber: 5.9 g
sugar: 47.5 g