Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash, Pear, and Bacon Soup
Fall spices and a hint of chipotle combined with the sweetness of butternut squash and pears come together with Swanson® Chicken Broth to create a warming puree.
- 1 (3 pound) butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 strips maple-flavored bacon, chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 red pears - peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground dried chipotle pepper
- 3 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon sour cream for garnish
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- 2. Place squash in a large bowl; drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Spread the squash in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Roast squash in prepared oven for 20 minutes; turn. Continue roasting until softened, 10 to 20 minutes more.
- 4. Place the chopped bacon into a heavy pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Reserve the bacon drippings.
- 5. Place the pot over medium heat; add the onion, pears, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and cook in the bacon drippings until onions and pears are soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the roasted squash and cook another 5 minutes. Add Swanson® Chicken Broth, nutmeg, cinnamon, and chipotle pepper; simmer on medium-low until ingredients are very soft and flavors have combined, about 10 minutes.
- 6. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor in small batches.
- 7. Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with crumbled bacon and a generous dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!
serving: 8 servings
calories: 181.4 kcal
carbohydrates: 29.2 g
protein: 6 g
saturated fat: 1.7 g
cholesterol: 12.3 mg
sodium: 601.7 mg
fiber: 5.2 g
sugar: 9.1 g