Braised Beef Short Ribs
After not being able to find a recipe for beef short ribs on the internet, I thought I might share this one that I came across many years ago. I have received raves about my short ribs every time I have served them. Try them, I'm sure you will agree! Enjoy!
- ½ cup all-purpose flour for coating
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1. In a bowl, combine the 1/2 cup flour, salt and ground black pepper. Roll the ribs in the seasoned flour.
- 2. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil and brown the ribs well on all sides. Pour in 1 cup boiling water, tomatoes, and garlic. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, adding more water if necessary.
- 3. Place the potatoes, onions, and carrots in the pot. Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until all vegetables are tender. Remove the meat and vegetables to a serving platter.
- 4. In a separate small bowl, dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons water for every one cup liquid remaining in the pot. Add this to the pot and stir well until thickened. Pour over meat and vegetables.