Chanterelle and Caramelized Onion Bruschetta
Six ingredients create a perfect appetizer ... or dinner. I love mushrooms on toast during the mushroom season. It takes time to caramelize the onions, but it is well worth it.
- 2 pounds onion, chopped
- 1 pound chanterelle mushrooms, halved and very thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 French baguette, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onions until they are soft and beginning to turn golden, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and continue cooking, stirring as necessary, until soft and dark brown, but not at all crispy, 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce heat if onions are crisping.
- 3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in another skillet over medium heat. Cook chanterelle mushrooms until soft and golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4. Arrange baguette rounds in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- 5. Bake in the preheated oven until just toasted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 6. Arrange a small amount of onions on top of each piece of toast. Top with a few mushrooms slices and serve warm.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 292.9 kcal
carbohydrates: 46.3 g
protein: 9.2 g
saturated fat: 1.3 g
sodium: 405.4 mg
fiber: 3.9 g
sugar: 7.4 g