This recipe was given to me by my friend and was adapted from an old Christmas cookie book. They are delicious and keep very well. This recipe makes a lot, so you might want to cut it in half. Add dried fruit and chocolate chips to suit or dip in melted chocolate when cool.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons anise seed
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour mix (such as Bob's Red Mill®)
- 1 ½ cups rice-based flour mix with xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- 2. Beat eggs together in a bowl until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar to eggs while continually beating. Pour oil into egg-sugar mixture and beat until smooth. Mix gluten-free all-purpose flour mix, rice-based flour mix, baking soda, and xanthan gum together in a separate bowl; gradually stir into egg-sugar mixture until dough is well-mixed and sticky. Fold almonds into the dough.
- 3. Turn dough onto the prepared baking sheet and form into 2 loaves, 1/2-inch thick and 2 1/2 inches wide.
- 4. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Cool loaves on the baking sheet for 2 minutes; slice into 1/2-inch slices. Lay slices, cut-side down, on baking sheet.
- 5. Bake in the oven until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer biscotti to a wire rack to cool completely.