Hash Brown Tostadas
This Hash Brown Tostadas recipe is courtesy of A Communal Table, a part of the U.S. Potato Board's Potato Lovers Club Program.
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups romaine salad blend
- 1 cup fresh tomato salsa
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon Avocado
- 1 teaspoon Green onions
- 1 teaspoon Low-fat sour cream
- 1. Place shredded potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. While potatoes are heating, pour 3 tablespoons vegetable oil into a 12-inch cast-iron or nonstick skillet. Heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat.
- 2. Remove the potatoes from the microwave and spoon 1 cup of the potatoes into the skillet. Repeat with another cup of potatoes and flatten each mound of potatoes to make a patty. Cook hash browns for 5 minutes.
- 3. While hash browns are cooking, drain and rinse the beans. Combine beans with a large handful of cilantro, lime juice, cumin, garlic paste, cayenne, and salt in the bowl of a mini food processor. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- 4. Turn the potato patties over and cook for another 5 minutes, until they are lightly browned. Dice the avocado and slice the green onions.
- 5. Remove the patties from the pan. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil to the pan and repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- 6. Spread 2 tablespoons of the black bean mixture on each patty and top with romaine, salsa, cheese, avocado, green onions and sour cream (if using).
serving: 4 servings
calories: 486.6 kcal
carbohydrates: 40.1 g
protein: 15.6 g
saturated fat: 13.3 g
cholesterol: 32.8 mg
sodium: 1506 mg
fiber: 9.2 g
sugar: 3.6 g