Jean's Swedish Faux Meatballs
This is a recipe that was handed down by my Mother-in-Law. It is a delicious twist on a 'comfort' food!
- 3 slices bread, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 2 (12 ounce) packages frozen burger-style crumbles
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 2. In a large bowl combine bread crumbs, onion, pepper, nutmeg and milk. Stir in burger-style crumbles until well blended. Form into 1 1/2 balls.
- 3. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the 'meat' balls in butter. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a 2 quart casserole dish.
- 4. Whisk flour into drippings in skillet; cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and cream and continue cooking, stirring, until sauce thickens and boils, about 1 minute. Pour over 'meat' balls .
- 5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 560 kcal
carbohydrates: 21.2 g
protein: 94.2 g
saturated fat: 8.4 g
cholesterol: 35.9 mg
sodium: 1374.9 mg
fiber: 6.9 g
sugar: 3 g