Italian-Inspired Stew with Mushrooms
This Italian-inspired mushroom stew is a nice cold weather meal. Serve with rice or noodles.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 pound beef sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes in puree
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup beef broth, or more as needed
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Heat oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; stir in beef. Cook and stir until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes, then remove to a plate.
- 2. Add mushrooms to the skillet and saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove mushrooms to a plate.
- 3. Add onion and garlic to the skillet; saute until onion is beginning to turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper; simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Add wine, 1/2 cup broth, and Parmesan cheese; simmer for 5 more minutes.
- 4. Stir in reserved beef and mushrooms. Cover and cook until beef is tender, about 1 hour, adding more broth if needed.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 312.3 kcal
carbohydrates: 10.3 g
protein: 27.2 g
saturated fat: 6.6 g
cholesterol: 65.3 mg
sodium: 402.6 mg
fiber: 2.4 g
sugar: 2.1 g