Spring Greens, Fresh Pea, and Ham Soup
A bright, lemony soup, perfect for using up leftover Easter ham!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped yellow onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ½ pound kale, ribs removed and leaves torn into pieces
- 1 pound ham, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup great northern beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups green peas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add broth, potatoes, and kale. Increase heat to high and bring soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- 3. Add ham, tomatoes, beans, rosemary, and bay leaves. Simmer on low for 15 minutes. Add peas and cook for 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper; stir in lemon juice and parsley.
serving: 8 servings
calories: 293.2 kcal
carbohydrates: 26.7 g
protein: 16.9 g
saturated fat: 4.1 g
cholesterol: 36.3 mg
sodium: 1735.1 mg
fiber: 4.2 g
sugar: 3.8 g