Stewed Chicken and Sausage
Comfort food delicious. This is something we start in the late morning and let simmer on the stove all afternoon. People just help themselves when the mood strikes.
- 1 (2 to 3 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to taste, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch dried sage, or to taste
- 1 pinch dried thyme, or to taste
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1. Season chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- 2. Mix remaining 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper with flour, sage, and thyme in a bowl. Dredge chicken pieces in the flour mixture, coating each side completely.
- 3. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook chicken in the hot oil, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in sausage; cook until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Add onions; cook until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 4. Stir chicken stock, garlic, and bay leaves into the Dutch oven; cover and cook until chicken is very tender, about 3 hours. Stir in green onions before serving.
serving: 6 servings
calories: 729.7 kcal
carbohydrates: 18.6 g
protein: 49.5 g
saturated fat: 14.6 g
cholesterol: 147.9 mg
sodium: 1938.6 mg
fiber: 1.4 g
sugar: 3.9 g