Sweet and Sour Tofu Veggies
Sweet and sour vegetables made with all kind of surprising ingredients. Give it a try, it's delicious!
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ cups long-grain brown rice
- 1 pound firm tofu
- ¼ cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 ¼ teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrots, sliced diagonally
- 4 ounces fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 large chopped red bell pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1. In a medium saucepan bring 2 cups of the water to a boil over high heat. Add the rice, reduce the heat, and simmer until the rice is tender and water is absorbed, 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 2. Remove excess water from the tofu, and then cut it into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the pineapple juice, lemon juice, ketchup, maple syrup, tamari, sesame oil, arrowroot, and ginger together.
- 4. In a wok or large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, green beans, bell pepper, mushrooms, and zucchini and stir-fry until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5. Add the pineapple juice mixture, tofu and pineapple. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Spoon the veggies and sauce over the brown rice and serve.
serving: 4 servings
calories: 665.6 kcal
carbohydrates: 94 g
protein: 28.6 g
saturated fat: 3.3 g
sodium: 631.8 mg
fiber: 9.5 g
sugar: 25.3 g