Eggplant Salad Dip
Makes for a delicious app at a party or an easy weekday lunch, also delicious as a side dish with grilled meats, chicken, or falafels. We love it so much we eat it by the spoonful! Always a hit, everyone asks for the recipe. Keeps well in the fridge, just leave out a few minutes before eating. Double the recipe if you want leftovers! Serve with crostini, pita chips, crackers, even soft French bread or pita.
- 1 large eggplant
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh mint
- ½ small red onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Slice eggplant in half lengthwise and score the flesh. Rub the flesh with salt and pepper and brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place flesh down on the prepared baking sheet.
- 3. Bake in the preheated oven until it remains depressed when you poke the skin, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 4. Use a fork to scrape the flesh away from the skins and into a large bowl. Add parsley, cilantro, mint, onion, garlic, and lemon zest.
- 5. Whisk remaining 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, honey, and vinegar together until just combined. Add to eggplant mixture and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and let rest 30 minutes before serving.