Swedish St. Lucia Buns
Growing up with a Swedish mom, we had these St. Lucia buns every December 13th.
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- ¾ cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F/43 to 46 degrees C)
- 6 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon raisins, or as needed
- 1. Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat just until bubbles form around the edge of the pan, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add sugar, butter, salt, and saffron, stirring until butter is melted. Let cool to lukewarm temperature, about 2 minutes.
- 2. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large bowl, stirring until dissolved. Stir in milk mixture and 3 1/2 cups flour until smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in eggs. Add remaining flour gradually, mixing in the last by hand until dough leaves the sides of the bowl and is very soft.
- 3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover with a bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 4. Knead dough with additional flour as needed, about 5 minutes. Place dough in a lightly greased large bowl; flip dough to grease both sides. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 60 to 90 minutes.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- 6. Punch down dough. Take golf ball-sized bits of dough and roll out into snakes. Roll each end in opposite directions to create 'S' forms. Place buns on the prepared baking sheets.
- 7. Combine egg yolk and water in a bowl with a whisk. Brush over buns.
- 8. Bake in the preheated oven for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven, leaving oven on. Quickly place 1 raisin in the center of each 'S' curve.
- 9. Return to the oven and continue to bake until golden and cooked through, about 6 minutes more. Let cool on a wire rack before serving.
serving: 24 buns
calories: 197.6 kcal
carbohydrates: 33.2 g
protein: 4.7 g
saturated fat: 2.8 g
cholesterol: 35 mg
sodium: 135.7 mg
fiber: 1.1 g
sugar: 7.1 g